Monday, March 8, 2010

Long time no see!

Vamos a ver...It has been a while since I've written. Since Granada I have been to London and Barcelona and this past weekend it was lovely to stay here in Alicante. Saying that I was worn out is an understatement. London was amazing as usual. I traveled there with my friends Hank and Maya who were visiting their sister and friend, respectively, so we ultimately split up during the weekend but it was great to be back in my favorite city in the world! I had a great time with my friends who were happy to entertain an American for the weekend. The most amazing thing I did was take a nighttime ferry ride on the Thames, which is something I never have done before. I didn't get to go up in the Eye, which was my objective of the weekend, but I suppose I will have to go back with some reservations!

Barcelona last weekend was a blast as well. I met up with my friend Ally who is studying abroad in France and was there with her group last weekend as well. Friday was one of the longest days of my life: leaving Alicante at 7:15 am, going to a winery, getting to Barcelona at 4:30 pm, Dali Museum, Dinner, then out for the night. A good thing about going out in a city that you do not know much about is that it usually ends up being an early night!!! Plus, the hotel that CIEE put us in was a luxury 4 star hotel, so you can imagine how nice my bed felt! Saturday we did a 3 hour walking tour of the city to look at the architecture and neighborhoods. If only I had eaten breakfast and it wasn't raining because 3 hours is a VERY long tour when you are miserable! But there were some great places I get to point out to my parents when they come visit. Like the fountain in the central plaza--when you drink from it, it makes you want to return to the city! Saturday night I went to the Barcelona/Malaga football game with a few people. It was so amazing! Unlike a baseball game, all of the seats are good ones so it was a great view. And, it went by so quickly! Barcelona won, of course! Sunday we went to Sagrada Familia, which is the famous Cathedral designed by Gaudi. His designs are all over the city, but this cathedral is literally the most amazing cathedral I have ever seen. It is unlike any other structure. It still isn't finished- they expect it to be done in 2025, but it seems like there there is more than 15 years of work left to do. You get to go up in an elevator to the top towers and look out over the city and then make you're way down the winding stairs. They are so tight and steep. Vertigo sets in for the average person. Muy bonito!

This past week in Alicante I have been trying to get out and see a few new things. I have been returning to the same little cafe/bar with some friends for some cheap wine and tea to talk to have an intercambio with the owner. He is fluent in English so he corrects us when we say things incorrectly. It's a local dive place for some of the older residents of the barrio, so last week they were teaching us how to play the bongos and chess because there is a big chess board on the wall.

On tuesday, I went bowling with some of the boys. I bowled 4 strikes in a row!! I ended up with a whopping 153 points, which is honestly my best score EVER...much improvement from my 63 points from last time. Yet, somehow, even with 4 strikes in a row, i ended up losing to Karim. It's just my luck that I get gutter balls following 4 strikes.

Wednesday I went to a lecture about the Spanish monarchy for extra credit for a class of mine. Our professor didn't know that the lecture was in Valenciano, which is one of the four languages they speak la Communidad de Valenciana, but it is not the same as Spanish. Therefore, my friends and I sat there for an hour and a half struggling to understand anything. I pretty much gave up and started reading my book for another class!! However, it was worth it because after the lecture our professor took us to this great authentic Chinese restaurant...authentic as in there are no menus and you just have to know what you want. It reminded me of that time in Chile at the Korean restaurant when the menu was in Korean with Spanish descriptions. Following Chinese food, I went to see some of my friends perform at an open mic night in el barrio. Lots of fun!

Friday afternoon after class some of us went to a music festival. It was the Spanish version of a tailgate. They served free paella and everyone brought other food and drinks. We got on a bus at 2:30, got there by 3, the concert was supposed to start at 9. It was a long afternoon and we were blessed with terrible weather. It was about 45 degrees, windy, overcast, and almost raining. So, we decided to just skip the concert and go home on the 9 o clock bus! what a bummer, but exhaustion got the best of us. But instead of going out for the night we just hung out at Karim's and made food and watched tv, just like if we were at home haha.

Saturday and Sunday were typical days trying to get two presentations done for class today. This week is full of homework and preparation for midterms--Spanish midterms on Wednesday and Thursday and we have midterms for our electives next week. I can't even comprehend having to take midterms because it seems like the semester just started. We only have like 23 days of school left too. This semester is flying by.

I'll upload some pictures soon. Baby steps for now...it has taken me so long to get around to writing :(

xx
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment